DIY Kale Chips: Quick & Healthy Munchies Snack
Eat to live; not live to eat. ~ Socrates
Eating mindfully and for health can sometimes be challenging, especially when we're surrounded by quick convenience food options and temptations laden with excess salt, sugar, and other additives. Add in cannabis-fueled munchies, and following a healthy diet can be even harder. For a quick and healthy snack, these delicious DIY kale chips are a zesty, savory, crunchy alternative to potato chips.
- Kale (organic, multiple varieties: lacinato, red, curly) - the variety makes it extra special!
- 2 tablespoons of zattaar flavoring/spice (available at Mediterranean and specialty grocers)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sprinkle of cayenne pepper (must be organic)
- 1/8 teaspoon sprinkle of sweet curry powder
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 2-3 grated sections of real Parmesan cheese - the solid, hard block of high quality cheese
- Salt (optional to taste) - Himalayan recommended
- Wash kale very well - massage to clean, which also works to soften the kale. If you have a salad spinner, spin dry or let air dry.
- Once washed and dried, strip from the stem, removing the tough part of the stem. If there are any veins that seem thick, remove them as well.
- Tear kale into pieces, the size of a large potato chip (bite-size). When tearing, be sure to continue to crumple in your hands to massage, to further soften. Note: kale does shrink almost 50% in size during baking, so do not tear too small.
- Line cookie sheets with unbleached parchment paper.
- Drizzle olive oil over kale, massaging oil for about 1 minute into the leaves. This will encourage the seasoning to adhere better, making for a nicer chip. You will feel the kale begin to become soft and supple in your hands.
- Fill a medium-sized bowl with the kale, allowing room to add seasoning.
- Sprinkle chips with blend of zattaar, garlic powder, curry, and Parmesan cheese. Toss well.
- Spread out chips on parchment paper, trying to disperse well onto the sheet so that chips do not touch.
- Place sheet in oven, at 350 degrees with timer set for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and turn kale chips over. Use tongs! Redistribute back onto sheet. Note: chips will appear wet and wilted, this is ok!
- Do a taste test of a chip. Add more garlic, zattaar, and grated Parmesan to taste to your liking.
- Place back in oven and continue baking for another 5 minutes. Keep an eye on your chips to make sure they are baking consistently. If your oven runs hot or is inconsistent with temperature, be sure to monitor and pull out sooner if needed.
- Check and flip chips one more time. Remove from oven, let cool, and store in an airtight container.
Mix olive oil and zattaar over kale and massage to soften the kale's original texture.
Add the remaining seasoning blend and mix together.
Spread kale on parchment paper before placing into the 350 degree oven.
Kale chips after first 5 minutes in the oven. Flip and bake another 5 minutes, repeat, then remove from oven and allow to cool.
Yum - all done! Remember to store in an airtight container, and enjoy your finished kale chips!